Ubuntu 22.04 LTS critical APT issue: installing libudev1 causes other packages to be uninstalled
- An American company made 0.7nm chips: EUV lithography machines can’t do it
- CVE-2007-4559 Python vulnerability ignored for 15 years puts 350,000 projects at risk of code execution
- RISC-V only takes 12 years to achieve the milestone of 10 billion cores
- 14000 cores + 450W: RTX 4080 graphics card perfectly replaces the RTX 3080
- Big upgrade: The difference between Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.2
- Geeks Disappointed that RTX 4080/4090 doesn’t come with PCIe 5.0
- What are advantages and disadvantages of different load balancing?
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS critical APT issue: installing libudev1 causes other packages to be uninstalled.
In the Ubuntu 22.04 desktop distribution, when users did not enable updating packages over the network, installing libudev1 resulted in the removal of a large number of critical packages and made the system largely unusable.
As shown above, such a simple apt install command can cause system damage.
According to Ubuntu’s bug log , the problem can be roughly summed up as: “apt will try to satisfy the requirement to install the latest libudev1 without upgrading other packages, but since this conflicts with other non-essential packages, it will remove them package.”
For the packages it removes, it may include ubuntu-desktop and other key packages for the user ..
This issue was reported to Ubuntu by users in May, and two months later, a patch to fix the issue is being actively merged into upstream APT and eventually ported to Ubuntu 22.04.
This change will upgrade installed reverse dependencies when breaking “Depends” after upgrading dependencies.
For future releases of Ubuntu/Debian, it looks like this merge for APT is being carried forward, and when one of the source packages is upgraded/installed, all other binaries are upgraded.
- DIY a PBX (Phone System) on Raspberry Pi
- How to host multiple websites on Raspberry Pi 3/4?
- A Free Intercom/Paging system with Raspberry pi and old Android phones
- DIY project: How to use Raspberry Pi to build DNS server?
- Raspberry Pi project : How to use Raspberry Pi to build git server?