NanoPi R2S as Soft Router
- An American company made 0.7nm chips: EUV lithography machines can’t do it
- CVE-2007-4559 Python vulnerability ignored for 15 years puts 350,000 projects at risk of code execution
- RISC-V only takes 12 years to achieve the milestone of 10 billion cores
- 14000 cores + 450W: RTX 4080 graphics card perfectly replaces the RTX 3080
- Big upgrade: The difference between Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.2
- Geeks Disappointed that RTX 4080/4090 doesn’t come with PCIe 5.0
- What are advantages and disadvantages of different load balancing?
NanoPi R2S as Soft Router by Flashing OpenWRT. It comes with two Gigabit Ethernet ports: one as WAN; another as LAN. also with ultra small size: 61x60x26mm (including case).
- CPU: Rockchip RK3328, Quad-core Cortex-A53
- DDR4 RAM: 1GB
- Internal 10/100/1000M Ethernet Port x 1
- USB3.0 converted 10/100/1000M Ethernet Port x 1
- USB2.0 Host: Type-A x1
- MicroSD Slot x 1
- MicroUSB: power input and USB Slave
- Debug Serial Port: 3.3V TTL, 3-pin 2.54mm pitch connector, 1500000 bauds
- LED: LED x 3
- KEY: KEY x 1 programmable
- PC Size: 55.6 x 52mm
- Power Supply: DC 5V/2A
- Temperature measuring range: 0℃ to 80℃
- OS/Software: U-boot，Ubuntu-Core，OpenWrt
OpenWRT image for NanoPi R2S
Go to here to download the official image file of OpenWRT
Peformance of NanoPi R2S
It’s not that R2S is perfect and suitable for everyone. After a period of use, also found that it has the following problems:
Even if a metal casing is used, its temperature will fluctuate between 50 and 70 degrees under normal circumstances.
If a download task is in progress, it may reach 80 degrees.
High temperature has a great impact on the life of the CPU. There is still room for improvement.
At present, there is a metal casing + fan solution that should be said to be better, you can consider buying this type (original plastic casing is recommended not to consider, unless it is really very light use)
Unfriendly For Newbies
If you are really a newbie, don’t know anything about basic computer network knowledge, and don’t understand the use and configuration of the OpenWRT system.
Probably you will feel difficulty~ On the contrary, if you love tossing very much and are looking for a cheap software Routing, then this one is more suitable for you~
The software needs to be improved… For example, the lack of packages related to the CUPS print service seems to have problem to use printer sharing.
Overall , Naopi R2S is interesting device as soft router.
Its performance is moderate, but very satisfied if considering its price: Around $40. NanoPi R2S is able to be a soft router for personal uses, also could attach Docker CE to add more funs.
It’s also suitable as a travel router if VPN enabled.
- DIY a PBX (Phone System) on Raspberry Pi
- How to host multiple websites on Raspberry Pi 3/4?
- A Free Intercom/Paging system with Raspberry pi and old Android phones
- DIY project: How to use Raspberry Pi to build DNS server?
- Raspberry Pi project : How to use Raspberry Pi to build git server?