New BMW cars can not use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto due to chip shortage
- An American company made 0.7nm chips: EUV lithography machines can’t do it
- CVE-2007-4559 Python vulnerability ignored for 15 years puts 350,000 projects at risk of code execution
- RISC-V only takes 12 years to achieve the milestone of 10 billion cores
- 14000 cores + 450W: RTX 4080 graphics card perfectly replaces the RTX 3080
- Big upgrade: The difference between Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.2
- Geeks Disappointed that RTX 4080/4090 doesn’t come with PCIe 5.0
- What are advantages and disadvantages of different load balancing?
New BMW cars can not use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto due to chip shortage.
Due to the global chip crisis, new cars delivered by BMW in the near future will not have Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto functions, and it is expected to be re-enabled through an update in June.
The global chip shortage is causing problems in many different areas, with the automotive industry being one of the most affected sectors.
BMW’s temporary drop in support for Apple/Google car connectivity is one example.
According to Automotive News Europe, BMW is delivering new cars without Apple CarPlay and Android Auto after switching chip suppliers to keep production going, but the features weren’t perfect.
And this imperfection seems to be just a software mismatch, as BMW will release an OTA update by the end of June, when customers can enable these features through a software update.
Not all BMW vehicles will be sold without CarPlay/Android Auto, and the company says cars with “6P1” in the production code will be affected.
While BMW did not specify which markets would be affected, the announcement added that CarPlay would be missing from vehicles purchased by customers in the U.S., U.K., France, Italy and Spain.
It is not the first time that the lack of chips has caused BMW to reduce distribution. In November last year, the shortage of chips caused BMW’s 3 series, 4 series, Z4 and other new models to have no touch screen function.
- DIY a PBX (Phone System) on Raspberry Pi
- How to host multiple websites on Raspberry Pi 3/4?
- A Free Intercom/Paging system with Raspberry pi and old Android phones
- DIY project: How to use Raspberry Pi to build DNS server?
- Raspberry Pi project : How to use Raspberry Pi to build git server?