Mozilla will transform K-9 Mail into Thunderbird for Android
- An American company made 0.7nm chips: EUV lithography machines can’t do it
- CVE-2007-4559 Python vulnerability ignored for 15 years puts 350,000 projects at risk of code execution
- RISC-V only takes 12 years to achieve the milestone of 10 billion cores
- 14000 cores + 450W: RTX 4080 graphics card perfectly replaces the RTX 3080
- Big upgrade: The difference between Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.2
- Geeks Disappointed that RTX 4080/4090 doesn’t come with PCIe 5.0
- What are advantages and disadvantages of different load balancing?
Mozilla will transform K-9 Mail into Thunderbird for Android.
Thunderbird is a free and open source cross-platform email client developed by the Mozilla Foundation, but so far Thunderbird is only available for PCs.
On June 13, Thunderbird developers confirmed in a blog that the open-source Android email app K-9 Mail will be transformed into Thunderbird for Android, filling the gaps in Thunderbird on mobile and making it easier for users to sync data across devices.
In fact, at the beginning, the Thunderbird team planned to develop an Android email client from scratch.
Later, it was found that our Thunderbird income depended solely on donations , and there was no resources and manpower to redevelop a large-scale project.
After figuring out the situation, the Thunderbird team began to plan to cooperate with the existing Android open source email project.
After all, it is easier to find an existing program and change it than to build a wheel from scratch.
Finally, in 2018, Thunderbird product manager Ryan Lee Sipes met Christian Ketterer, the project maintainer of the open- source Android email client K-9 Mail .
The two hit it off and decided to change K-9 Mail to Thunderbird for Android.
Thunderbird will “dedicate financial and development resources to improving K-9 Mail,” including improvements to the UI, accounts, syncing, and more . Below is the published roadmap:
- Account settings automatically configured with a Thunderbird account.
- Improve folder management.
- Support message filters.
- Sync between desktop and mobile Thunderbird
- Align K-9 Mail with Thunderbird’s feature set and visual appearance
By the time the UI is pretty much fixed (which may take a few months), it’s time for K-9 Mail to change its name to “Thunderbird” branding.
The Thunderbird team also intends to introduce sync support for Thunderbird and K-9 mail accounts in summer 2023, after all the apps are mine and users are coming.
The following is the current UI of K-9 Mail:
- DIY a PBX (Phone System) on Raspberry Pi
- How to host multiple websites on Raspberry Pi 3/4?
- A Free Intercom/Paging system with Raspberry pi and old Android phones
- DIY project: How to use Raspberry Pi to build DNS server?
- Raspberry Pi project : How to use Raspberry Pi to build git server?