DIY a Soft Router (Soft Routering) with Chromebook or Chromebox
DIY a Soft Router (Soft Routering) with Chromebook or Chromebox. A chromebook as a router? If your chromebook is equipped with a x86-CPU, you can easily transfer your chromebook as a soft router.
However, you need to add two Ethernet port (one as WAN; another as LAN) to chromebook because most of Chromebooks don’t have Ethernet port, you need to add two adapters via USB3.0 or M.2 (internal) for wired network connection:
Hardware for Chromebook As Router
Chromebok with x86-CPU, better with a Ethernet port like Lenovo x131e
or A Chromebox
Most chromeboxes come with a ethernet port, so add another ethernet port via USB3.0 or M.2 (internal)
USD3.0 to Ethernet Adapter
Most Chromebooks didn’t come with Ethernet port, so it’s better to get USB3.0 to Ethernet Adapter to better networking connection.
M.2 to Ethernet
Most of Chromebooks come with a M.2 slot for Wireless network card. In order to get better network connect. We will replace this card by below adapater. However, you need to drill a hole to let cable go through.
Swipe off Chrome OS and install customerized BIOS, then modify it to a Soft Router
In order to install Soft Router OS on chromebook, you need to replace factory BIOS by customerized one.
- Go to Mr.Chromebox.tech to check if your chromebook is sopported
- Remove security limit (screw, switch or jump) if haivng one on supported chromebook.
- Enter developer mode to flash BIOS by scripts from mrchromebox.tech.
Software for Chrome as Router
- VyOS Router
OpenWRT for PC is recommended if you are new on soft router.
Install OpenWRT on Chromebook as Router
After flashing factory and set down on two network cards
- Download the image for PC from OpenWRT official website
- Write image file to USB drive by balenaEthcher
- Boot Chromebook from this USB drive
- USE a PC and set this PC’s IP as 192.168.1.2
- Use a network cable to conect both PC and chromebook.
- Open browser and PC and input IP address: 192.168.1.1
- Login with user: root, leave this blank for your first connection
- Configure this soft router per your wish.
After you know more about soft router and network working pricinples, you can continue to try other Soft Router OS.