Chromebook As Router
A chromebook as a router? If your chromebook is equipped with a x86-CPU, you can easily transfer your chromebook as a soft router. However, you need to add two Ethernet port (one as WAN; another as LAN) to chromebook because most of Chromebooks don’t have Ethernet port, you need to add two adapters for wired network connection:
Hardware for Chromebook As Router
Chromebok with x86-CPU, better with a Ethernet port like Lenovo x131e
USD3.0 to Ethernet Adapter
M.2 to Ethernet
Most of Chromebooks come with a M.2 slot for Wireless network card. In order to get better network connect. We will replace this card by below adapater. The price is to drill a hole to let cable go through
Swipe off Chrome OS and install customerized BIOS, then modify it to a Soft Router
In order to install Soft Router OS on chromebook, you need to replace factory BIOS by customerized one.
- Go to Mr.Chromebox.tech to check if your chromebook is sopported
- Remove security limit (screw, switch or jump) if haivng one on supported chromebook.
- Enter developer mode to flash BIOS by scripts from mrchromebox.tech.
Software for Chrome as Router
- VyOS Router
OpenWRT for PC is recommended if you are new on soft router.
Install OpenWRT on Chromebook as Router
After flashing factory and set down on two network cards
- Download the image for PC from OpenWRT official website
- Write image file to USB drive by balenaEthcher
- Boot Chromebook from this USB drive
- USE a PC and set this PC’s IP as 192.168.1.2
- Use a network cable to conect both PC and chromebook.
- Open browser and PC and input IP address: 192.168.1.1
- Login with user: root, leave this blank for your first connection
- Configure this soft router per your wish.
After you know more about soft router and network working pricinples, you can continue to try other Soft Router OS.