Been misled for years: The quality of mechanical hard drives is far less reliable than SSD
- Huawei Mate 60 Pro Makes Satellite Calls: Only US$0.18/minute
- Huawei Mate60 Pro: First Smart Phone Supports Satellite Calls
- 14000 cores + 450W: RTX 4080 graphics card perfectly replaces the RTX 3080
- Big upgrade: The difference between Bluetooth 5.0 and 5.2
- Geeks Disappointed that RTX 4080/4090 doesn’t come with PCIe 5.0
- What are advantages and disadvantages of different load balancing?
Been misled for years: The quality of mechanical hard drives is far less reliable than SSD.
Speaking of stability and durability, would you prefer an SSD or a mechanical hard drive?
Many people’s common sense is mechanical hard drives, but the latest data shared by storage service provider Backblaze shows that, in fact, SSDs are much more reliable than mechanical hard drives.
This summary report for the second quarter of 2022 summarizes the quality performance of its tens of thousands of mechanical hard drives and SSDs in the past 8 years.
It should be noted that BB only started deploying SSDs in 2018, so it is only the fifth year. .
At the same time, these hard disks are purely used as boot disks, and most of the loads are logging log files, acting as SMART temporary storage, boot storage servers, and so on.
However, from the chart, in the first 5 years, the annualized failure rate of SSD is absolutely lower than that of mechanical hard disks in the same period.
After the fourth year, the failure probability of mechanical hard disks begins to rise sharply.
The rate fell even slightly, from 1.05% to 0.92%.
Some people believe that the structure of SSD components is relatively simple.
As long as the particles and the main control are relatively reliable, the durability is often higher than that of mechanical hard disks with complex structures.
Of course, no hard drive can protect data for a lifetime, and it is necessary to develop a good habit of backing up regularly, just in case.
- DIY a PBX (Phone System) on Raspberry Pi
- How to host multiple websites on Raspberry Pi 3/4?
- A Free Intercom/Paging system with Raspberry pi and old Android phones
- DIY project: How to use Raspberry Pi to build DNS server?
- Raspberry Pi project : How to use Raspberry Pi to build git server?